Search Engine Optimisation, otherwise known as SEO, is all about having the right information out there to help you rank as high as possible on Google and other search engines.
Read on for our top tips, or find out more about becoming a Trusted Trader.
1. Link to your Which? Trusted Traders profile from your website
Linking to your Which? Trusted Traders profile from your website can give your Google presence a boost.
Links can be in either with image or text, and it’s best to put the link in a prominent position - that is, towards the top of a webpage, rather than hidden away at the bottom, much like this example:
What’s more, linking to your Which? Trusted Traders profile from your website means you can benefit from having an association with the trusted Which? brand.
Not only does the Which? brand offer reassurance to potential customers, but links to your Which? Trusted Traders profile offers Google the same sense of reassurance to your business’ web pages - meaning your website is likely to show up higher in its search results.
You should also make sure you update your Which? Trusted Traders profile page regularly, as this will give customers the most up-to-date information when they look for you. And be sure to fill out your profile page as completely as possible, so that all bases are covered.
If you’d like to know how to stand out on Which? search as well as Google, read our guide to making the most of search on Which? Trusted Trader.
2. Promote your business locally with Google My Business
Registering for a Google My Business profile is a free way to promote your business in local and general Google searches.
Your Google My Business (GMB) profile will then match with local customers who are searching for your services. You can add all sorts of information to your GMB profile including images, links to your social media profiles and any offers you’re running.
Always remember to link to your Which? Trusted Traders profile page and your website from your GMB posts - as explained above, your Google presence is boosted when you link to all of your relevant sites.
To find out more about how to use Google My Business to promote your company for free, read our in-depth guide on Google My Business.
3. Feature customer reviews on your Which? Trusted Traders profile
Google loves genuine reviews. Featuring plenty of reviews (the more positive the better) on your Which? Trusted Traders profile means you’ll have a better chance of appearing first on Google search.
Many Google results include a star rating which is a quick way for potential customers to see how well rated a trader is. With 90% of customers reading online reviews before engaging with businesses it is essential that you get your customers to leave reviews on your Which? Trusted Traders and Google My Business profile.
Google will identify how often a customer is engaging with your profile, whether this is your Which? Trusted Traders or Google My Business profile. More reviews means more engagement and gaining a star rating to appear on your result.
4. Showcase your achievements using images and videos
One great way to boost your Which? Trusted Traders profile is to include images and photos of your work and business, as they can help you stand out from the crowd.
Photos and videos also help to break up walls of text that can be difficult to read, and provide a way for customers to see the standard of your work.
It’s also a good idea to add images and videos to your Google My Business profile to help advertise your work.
5. Know the benefits of being a Which? Trusted Trader
As well as using your Which? Trusted Traders profile to boost your visibility on Google, there are lots of other benefits of becoming an accredited trader, including:
- Which? Trusted Traders gets an average of 300,000 views from potential customers looking for a trader they can trust, that’s according to data from Google Analytics looking at the total views for each month of the last three months
- You can leverage the trusted Which? brand and associated logos to stand out from other traders
- If you’ve got a dispute with a customer that you can’t resolve, you have access to an independent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service
- You’ll get a subscription to Which? Magazine
- You’ll have the benefit of a dedicated account manager to help you make the most of your endorsement.
Don’t take our word for it, see what our current Which? Trusted Traders have to say about being endorsed by Which?:
'When a potential customer sees that we are a Which? Trusted Trader, I think it gives them peace of mind that we can be trusted and will deliver a high standard of workmanship.' - Tower Heating Limited
If you want to find out more about how being a Which? Trusted Trader can help you stand out from the crowd, sign up to Which? Trusted Traders now.
- To make your business more visible online, don't forget about social media
- Find out more about Google My Business: how to promote your company for free
- These 10 cyber security tips can help keep your business safe online