What is the Gas Safe Register?

The Gas Safe Register is a campaigning body that promotes gas safety standards in the UK. The register itself is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. 

What does the Gas Safe Register do?

The Gas Safe Register seeks to improve safety standards around the installation and maintenance of gas appliances. It carries out regular inspections of Gas Safe registered engineers to ensure all the engineers are suitably qualified to work with gas. It has a national investigations team, which tracks down illegal gas workers. It investigates reports of unsafe gas work and educates consumers about gas safety.

Which gas jobs should be done by a registered engineer?

All gas work carried out in your home should be done by a Gas Safe Register-accredited engineer. Gas work includes:

  • Installing, repairing or servicing a gas boiler
  • Installing or repairing a gas fire, gas cooker or hob


Not all gas engineers are qualified to do all types of gas work. Every Gas Safe registered engineer should carry a Gas Safe ID card, featuring the Gas Safe triangle. The engineer's qualifications will be listed on the back of the card - always check what type of work your gas engineer is qualified to undertake.

How to find a registered engineer

The Gas Safe Register website lists local registered businesses and traders. You can search for a registered engineer using your address or the name of the trader or business, if known. The website shows you the names of any engineers working for registered businesses and specifically which gas appliances individuals are qualified to work on. https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Always check the engineer's Gas Safe ID card

Before you let a gas engineer into your home, make sure you check the front and back of their Gas Safe ID card. If they don’t show this to you when they turn up at your door then don’t be afraid to ask to see it.

Details to check on the front of the card: 

  • The engineer's photo
  • The start and expiry dates
  • The licence number
  • The security hologram
  • The engineer is from the business you employed


Details to check on the back of the card:

  • The engineer is qualified to carry out the gas job you need them to do
  • Their qualifications are up to date


In support of #GasSafetyWeek, Which? Trusted Traders are offering Gas Safe registered engineers 50% off the initial assessment fee and the monthly Which? Trusted Trader endorsement fee for the first six months* if they become endorsed. 

Only trustworthy traders who meet our high standards can become Which? Trusted Traders. All applicants will have to pass our rigorous assessment process and agree to follow our Code of Conduct.

Those who make the grade will be able to use our endorsement logo, giving customers confidence when looking for someone to work on their home, and helping traders stand out from their competitors.

If you’re a plumber, or gas & heating engineers, request a call back from the team or apply now to become a Which? Trusted Trader.


More on this: